Friday, September 14, 2012

Movie: Straw Dogs (2011)

I have not seen the original 1970s version to which many critics compared this movie, both positively and negatively.  After seeing this version, I don't believe I could stomach another try at this story line.

My movie summary is as follows:
  1. City slicker played by James Marsden moves back to his wife's old home town.  He has an Ivy League education to really draw a contrast to those ignorant rednecks in town.  
  2. His wife, played by Kate Bosworth, made it big as an actress and has never looked back until now.  
  3. To make things really interesting, there is a high school football hero of yesteryear who is still mad for Kate Bosworth.  Alexander Skarsgård plays the football hero but looks so out of place that I hoped he would morph into the vampire he plays on True Blood.  Unfortunately, that did not happen.  
As you can probably guess, lots of quality fun ensues and tourism in the deep south has been set back for the foreseeable future.  It's not an accident that I cannot remember a single character's name in the movie...there's not a single character who is likable.  Most are irritating at best.  

Seriously though, I did learn a few things from this movie:
  • I already knew hunting invitations from sitting Vice Presidents were a dangerous thing, - now I know not to go hunting with people who don't like me but suddenly want to bond with me.  
  • Bear traps are a great centerpiece in any home - lots of opportunities for high jinks!
  • Holding a rifle while hitchhiking will likely keep people from stopping to give you a lift.
I would give this movie two stars out of five, based on the following:













More movie info can be found on IMDB.  And you can always buy the movie at Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment