Sunday, November 25, 2012

Jónsi - Sinking Friendships

This song held my attention from the moment I first heard it - definitely interesting but I'm not sure that I have all the lyrics down correctly. Jónsi's vocalizations make it difficult to identify some of the words.  Searching on the Internet didn't help a lot either.  One line especially puzzles me: Nigh misfortune...unlively like a glue.  It's what almost every website that specializes in song lyrics state are the words but I'm not convinced.

I think the song is about the impermanence of friendships (not much deep thing required there when considering the song title).  More importantly, in his line, "Our sinking friendships...We drown them all," I think he's singing that relationships end through our own actions/inactions that drive people away.  It's sad but true - how many lifelong friendships ever exist or is it really just an oxymoron?  Maybe friendship is a transient thing that changes over a period of time and "we should wear two lifesaving layers...since no one knows you till it's over...you know no one true till it's over."  I'd like to think that's not the case!

I don't know much about Jónsi except that he is from Iceland.  I must have a soft spot for music coming out of there, given that I love Of Monsters and Men and The Sugarcubes so much!

Below is the video containing music and lyrics.


If you like the song, please support the artist and buy his music!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment